Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cylinder Shroud-November 25, 2010

I picked up the VS5 cylinder shroud off of ebay. Can't believe that I got it for about $100. The only ones that I have come across typically run $250-$450. It will need sanded, primed, and painted of course, but finally glad to have an original. Other than a few little, and thankfully, cheaper pieces are needed to make the scooter complete and original.

Airbox-November 25, 2010

The airbox is done. Finished the top with a wrinkle coat and the bottom with a matt black. The airbox is more shiny in the picture due to the direct lighting.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Another Scooter Project

Here is another scooter project that I am working on. Not going to go crazy on this one. Just rebuild the engine, complete the front end and random parts, and get a title. Hopefully, I can make a bit of profit to fund the GS project.

Airbox Cover-November 7, 2010

I started working on getting the airbox cleaned up and painted. Began with the airbox cover and decided to give VHT's Wrinkle Plus paint a try to give the lid the "original crinkle coat. I picked it up at Advanced Auto Parts. After some experimenting, I am happy with the result.

According to the directions on the can, I sanded the lid down to the bare metal. The original coat was hard to get off so I used a dremel tool with a sandpaper drum to get it to the bare metal. This was followed up with a hand sanding using 400 and 800 grit sandpaper. The directions state to not use primer and give it 3 heavy coats in alternating directions with a 5 minute break between coats. I put the lid in the oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour. This was too much and the crinkle was too heavy especially along the bottom of the lip.

After the first attempt, I scraped and sanded the lid down to the bare metal again. This time I gave it one coat of primer and let that dry. I followed this up with two lighter coats alternating the directions and waiting 5 minutes between coats. I put the lid in the oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour. This worked much better and the crinkle was more controlled. The lid needed more texture still, so I gave it 1 more light coat and did not bake it.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cylinder Shroud-November 4, 2010

If anyone out there has a GS 150 cylinder shroud for sale, please hit me up. I've been looking for one for quite awhile. I've got the funds, but don't want to pay $500 for one either :).

Engine Rebuild-November 4, 2010

I finished with the engine rebuild. Overall, it wasn't too bad. The hardest part was getting the crank to fit into the engine case. I would recommend putting the crank into the freezer for a night and heating the engine case with a butane torch. With some gentle taps, the crank eventually went in. The second tricky part was getting the two engine halves together while making sure that the gear selector was properly engaged. Put in new bearings and a complete set of seals. Right now I am in the process of getting the exhaust repaired and once that is complete I will give the new engine test. Once this is done, I'll move on to getting the airbox redone and flywheel cover repaired and painted. Coming along slowly, but still coming along.

Vintage Ohio License Plate

I was able to pick up a vintage 1961 Ohio License Plate for the GS 150. Here in Ohio you can pay a $25 fee (I believe) to use on a historic motorcycle or scooter. The price was right and thought that it looked better than the ones that they have out now. Now all I have to do is get that pesky title issue worked out, but I've now got a lead in Michigan and will give that a try.